Friday, April 10, 2009

Why don't we just re-route the whole stream?

As we think about changing who we are or what we do, why don't we just make big changes?

Big changes are hard, but I think the thought of big changes is harder. We fear that we won't be able to really do it, or that it won't turn out quite like we planned.

It is all about harnessing our fear.

But it is amazing that when we try something long enough, we lose all fear, though we retain our respect for the challenge.

For example, people say that speaking in front of groups is one of the biggest fears there is. I've done it well over a thousand times now, and so it no longer holds any fear. But I know what it takes, and I know that I must prepare well or the results may be disastrous!

The Swiss couple that is biking throughout North and Central America helped me realize that if I have a goal (or even a wish), I need to act on it, and not put it away, fearing that I will not be up to the challenge.

Maybe it won't be exactly as I planned or dreamed, but it will never be at all unless I do. Always waiting for the right time will never make it so. Time to plan, prepare, and do, without fear, but with respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment