Thursday, April 9, 2009

Racism Always Troubles the Waters

The other day, I had an opportunity to go see West Side Story, produced by our local high school drama class. I am always amazed at young talent, and there were some outstanding performances by some of the kids.

But what strikes me today is the sadness of racism. What a complete waste of energy! What a missed opportunity!

In the play, there is a line that refers to the fact that we are all immigrants or children of immigrants. Unfortunately, that comment falls on deaf ears to the kids who are bent on driving others out, or forcefully taking what is "rightfully theirs."

I had an opportunity to be in the slums of Chicago one day many years ago, and I learned a valuable lesson: People are the same, and they want the same things--to be safe, to be loved, to have enough for themselves and their families, and to give their children the best life they can give.

It's time to get over it!

No comments:

Post a Comment